How important is friendship to you? You may not realize it but friendships matter a lot more than you think. Here are two reasons why:
1. Friendship matters because we are made for it (John 15:9-17)
Friendship was never created. It is just a part of God's eternal nature. There has never been a time when there wasn't friendship. We are created in God's image, so that means we were made for friendship. When God created Adam, He said "It is not good that man should be alone" (Genesis 2:18). Adam didn't ask for a companion, God knew he needed one. A true friend always lets you in and never lets you down.
2. Friendship matters because it makes us (Proverbs 13:20)
Think of who your 5 closest friends are. You are the average of those 5 close friends. Are those friends leading you closer to Christ and helping you make good decisions? (Proverbs 12:26) David had 3 major friendships and these are ones we all need:
- Samuel: A FRIEND WHO MAKES YOU BETTER (1 Samuel 16:12-13 & Proverbs 27:17)
- Jonathan: A FRIEND WHO HELPS YOU FIND SPIRITUAL STRENGTH (1 Samuel 23:15-16)
- Nathan: A FRIEND WHO TELLS YOU THE TRUTH (2 Samuel 12:7 & Proverbs 27:5-6)